$50,000 donation to help domestic violence survivors and families access trauma-informed, affordable health care
Donations of nearly $100,000 to support youth in under-resourced communities in the state
HARRISBURG, PA, Jan. 30, 2023 — Aetna Better Health Kids®, a CVS Health® company (NYSE: CVS), announced Aetna donated $50,000 to the Pennsylvania Coalition Against Domestic Violence (PCADV) to provide education and assistance to connect survivors of domestic violence and their children with trauma-informed, affordable health care.
“Many barriers exist for domestic violence survivors who are trying to leave abusive situations. Access to safe and affordable health care is one of the most significant needs for fleeing survivors and their children,” said Jennifer Q. Beittel, chief philanthropic officer of PCADV. “Our work with Aetna Better Health Kids will be key to connecting domestic violence advocates with insurance providers to safely help survivors and their children enroll with ease in CHIP or other health plan options at a time when they need it most. We’re grateful for Aetna’s investment to support Pennsylvania’s families.”
Through the collaboration, Aetna Better Health Kids will work with PCADV and its member programs to identify individuals and families who would benefit from access to health care and address the confidentiality needs of domestic violence survivors and their children during health plan enrollment. In addition, domestic violence advocates will receive ongoing training and support for safely enrolling survivors and their children in Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) or other health plan options.
“Often, the greatest need for survivors and their children fleeing domestic violence is access to affordable health care, so we’re grateful to be working with PCADV to connect those impacted by abuse with health care benefits,” said Jerold Mammano, Division President, Aetna® Medicaid. “Our announcement raises visibility of our commitment to supporting domestic violence victims as well as the larger Pennsylvania community through additional donations we’re making.”
In addition to the PCADV donation, Aetna Better Health Kids announced it pledged donations totaling nearly $100,000 to five Pennsylvania community partners to support youth in under-resourced communities in the state. Donations were provided to:
- The Salvation Army Western PA Division Camp Allegheny initiative to provide mental, emotional and physical support to children attending the camp
- Communities in Schools of Pennsylvania to host parent engagement events and support their work across the Central Pennsylvania region
- Pocono Mountains United Way to continue operating its Health Start Early Childhood Screening Program, which serves Monroe County children with age-specific screenings to observe a child's normal development in the areas of speech and language, fine and gross motor skills, social and emotional growth, cognition, self-help, vision, hearing, dental and the detection of autism
- Crispus Attucks York for their plans to hold a Mental Health Expo for students and families attending the Crispus Attucks Charter School and Rising Stars program, providing access to mental health providers in York within the Aetna network and access to CHIP registration
- American Lung Association to support it’s NOT for Me program, the American Lung Association’s free mobile-friendly online program to help teens stop vaping or using other tobacco products
In total, Aetna Better Health Kids has pledged to make community investments of more than $320,000 to organizations in Pennsylvania.
About Aetna Medicaid
Aetna Medicaid Administrators LLC (Aetna Medicaid), a CVS Health company, has over 30 years of experience managing the care of the most medically vulnerable, using innovative approaches and a local presence in each market to achieve both successful health care results and effective cost outcomes. Aetna Medicaid has particular expertise serving high-need Medicaid members, including those who are dually eligible for Medicaid and Medicare, and members on the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP). Currently, Aetna Medicaid owns and/or administers Medicaid and CHIP managed health care plans under the names of Aetna Better Health and other affiliate names. Together, these plans serve approximately 2.8 million people in 16 states, including Arizona, California, Florida, Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, Virginia and West Virginia. For more information, see www.aetnabetterhealth.com.
About CVS Health
CVS Health® is the leading health solutions company, delivering care like no one else can. We reach more people and improve the health of communities across America through our local presence, digital channels and over 300,000 dedicated colleagues – including more than 40,000 physicians, pharmacists, nurses and nurse practitioners. Wherever and whenever people need us, we help them with their health – whether that’s managing chronic diseases, staying compliant with their medications or accessing affordable health and wellness services in the most convenient ways. We help people navigate the health care system – and their personal health care – by improving access, lowering costs and being a trusted partner for every meaningful moment of health. And we do it all with heart, each and every day. Follow @CVSHealth on social media.