$50,000 donation to Ebenezer Outreach Ministries will support Basic Needs Center for children, youth & families
PENNSYLVANIA, Oct. 11, 2023 — Aetna Better Health Kids, a CVS Health® company (NYSE: CVS), announced that Aetna® donated $50,000 to Ebenezer Outreach Ministries. The donation will be used to support Ebenezer’s Basic Needs Center, providing children, families and individuals facing challenging circumstances with access to essential supplies needed to meet their basic care needs.
"We’re delighted to collaborate with Aetna to further our mission of improving the lives of youth and families in our community, beginning with ensuring each child has their basic needs met,” said Reverend Dr. Vincent K. Campbell, senior pastor of Ebenezer Baptist Church. “No family should be left behind without access to the most essential items needed to care for themselves and their loved ones. With the support of the donation from Aetna, we hope to continue to expand our community outreach efforts, enabling more children and families to live and grow healthily.”
The donation from Aetna directly supports Ebenezer Outreach Ministries’ Basic Needs Center, which provides children, families and adults in Pittsburgh’s Hill District and surrounding areas with access to essential care resources, including personal hygiene items, transportation and drop-in childcare services. Additionally, the donation supports Ebenezer’s Meals Ministry, which distributes hot meals and boxes of healthy, nutritious foods on a weekly basis to families and individuals experiencing food insecurity. To date, nearly 15,000 infants, children, adults and seniors have been served by Ebenezer Outreach Ministries’ Basic Needs and Meals Ministry programs.
“Ebenezer Outreach Ministries’ programs have become a lifeline for a number of Pennsylvania families, addressing a crucial need within our communities to ensure every child is cared for and each family is equipped with the tools to do so,” said Jerold Mammano, division president, Aetna Medicaid. “Ebenezer has already been a great partner as the site of one of CVS Health’s Workforce Innovation and Talent Centers and, together, we’ll continue our work to make a positive impact on the lives of Pennsylvania’s children and foster healthier communities across the state.”
In addition to the donation to Ebenezer Outreach Ministries, Aetna Better Health Kids announced it pledged sponsorships totaling over $150,000 to seven Pennsylvania nonprofits to improve the health, education and overall well-being of youth in the state. Sponsorships were provided to:
- Small Things to sponsor the Kids Healthy Snack program, which provides access to culturally informed and appropriate food for children living in low-income areas of the Philadelphia region, as well as to create educational, bilingual materials to teach children about nutrition.
- Pocono Mountains United Way to continue operating its Health Start Early Childhood Screening Program, which serves Monroe County children with age-specific screenings to observe a child’s normal development in the areas of speech and language, fine and gross motor skills, social and emotional growth, cognition, self-help, vision, hearing, dental and the detection of autism.
- Communities in Schools of Pennsylvania to host local events to educate parents and caregivers of elementary school students about eligibility and enrollment in CHIP health care plans.
- WITF to sponsor a Ready, Set, Explore! Event in Central Pennsylvania that helps children transition from preschool to kindergarten, and multilingual education events to engage families and teachers on educational and social services programs.
- Salvation Army (Eastern Division) to sponsor Camp Ladore, a residential summer camp for youth ages seven to 16 that focuses on developing good habits, fostering independence and promoting mental health through artistic expression and wilderness camping.
- Salvation Army (Western Pa. Division) to provide backpacks and back-to-school supplies to students in kindergarten through 12th grade, regardless of income status, across Rochester, Johnstown, Washington and Greensburg, Pa.
- Siloam Wellness to sponsor a series of youth sports camps, as well as the “I Can’t to I Can” therapy group and the “Teen Drop-In Center” support group aimed at addressing mental health issues and building a sense of belonging for youth ages six to 19.
About Aetna Medicaid
Aetna Medicaid Administrators LLC (Aetna Medicaid), a CVS Health company, has over 30 years of experience managing the care of under-resourced populations, using innovative approaches and a local presence in each market to achieve both successful health care results and effective cost outcomes. Aetna Medicaid has expertise serving high-need Medicaid members, including those who are dually eligible for Medicaid and Medicare and members in the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP). Currently, Aetna Medicaid owns and/or administers Medicaid managed health care plans under the names of Aetna Better Health and other affiliate names. Together, these plans serve members in 16 states, including Arizona, California, Florida, Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, Virginia and West Virginia. For more information, see www.aetnabetterhealth.com.
About CVS Health
CVS Health® is the leading health solutions company, delivering care like no one else can. We reach more people and improve the health of communities across America through our local presence, digital channels and over 300,000 dedicated colleagues – including more than 40,000 physicians, pharmacists, nurses and nurse practitioners. Wherever and whenever people need us, we help them with their health – whether that’s managing chronic diseases, staying compliant with their medications or accessing affordable health and wellness services in the most convenient ways. We help people navigate the health care system – and their personal health care – by improving access, lowering costs and being a trusted partner for every meaningful moment of health. And we do it all with heart, each and every day. Follow @CVSHealth on social media.