Today we are reflecting on a year of progress and impact as shared in our 2022 Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) Report.
As we release our latest report, our Healthy 2030 strategy remains focused on making healthier happen for communities, colleagues and stakeholders and creating a more equitable health care system and sustainable future for all. This strategy continues to guide our actions across CVS Health® and is embedded in our purpose and progress within our ESG pillars — Healthy People, Healthy Business, Healthy Community and Healthy Planet.
“Whether we are making the health care experience simpler, reducing energy use or making investments to support under-resourced communities to improve health outcomes, we continue to put people at the heart of everything we do,” said Sheryl Burke, SVP of Corporate Social Responsibility and Chief Sustainability Officer. “As we look back at our impact and continue to make our mark in creating a healthier world, this commitment to helping all of those around us will never waver.”
Our key 2022 ESG accomplishments include:
- Deployed more than $260 million through the CVS Health Foundation, corporate grants, in-kind gifts, fundraising, employee giving and other community support
- Supported 185,000 people in five initial Health Zones to address social determinants of health at the local level
- Lowered the risk of untreated chronic conditions for 50,000 people through Project Health’s free biometric screening program
- Increased our volunteer hours by 15% as colleagues donated their time and talents to the causes that mean the most to them
- Eliminated over 350 million paper receipts in 2022
- Diverted 52% of all waste from landfill and completed waste audits at our corporate headquarters
- Invested in a 42-megawatt share of Mammoth Central solar facility to purchase clean, renewable energy
- Achieved a 13% reduction in GHG Scopes 1 and 2 against the 2019 baseline of our Science-Based net-zero target
- $4.2 billion spent with diverse Tier 1 suppliers and 2.5 billion spent with diverse Tier 2 suppliers in 2022, the equivalent of $2.8 billion in wages and 41,000 jobs annually
The CVS Health 2022 ESG Report was developed in accordance with the Global Reporting Initiative Sustainability Reporting Standards, a global framework widely used by organizations for sustainability reporting.